When King George opened Canada House on 29 June 1925 he stated: “Canada is a great country: alike in the literal sense of cast extent from ‘sea to sea’ and great in achievement and in promise: and it is right and necessary that its official representatives here should be housed in a manner worthy of the Dominion and adequate to the discharge of their ever-growing and important duties.”
Since then Canada House has survived the Depression, the Blitz, and avoided being sold off due to cost-cutting measures. Through it all Canada’s relationship with the UK flourished. Peter Larkin, who was appointed High Commissioner to the United Kingdom in 1922, began by consolidating and strengthening Canada’s services and enterprises in London. Throughout the Depression and later World War Two, this bought thousands of Canadians over to the United Kingdom to stand with their British counterparts and form an integral part of the country. As Canada’s presence grew as the result of the heightened diplomatic environment and trade growth in the post-war years, Canada House expanded next door and work began to unify the two buildings.
Today Canada House stays true to what Larkin intended for it to be: a symbol of the best of Canadian craftsmanship. The Royal Over-Seas League has arranged for members to have a private tour around the House and learn from the experts about it’s wonderful array of art, architecture and history.
The tour will take place on Friday 13 October at 4.30pm which you can book onto here. There is limited availability so please do book in advance to avoid disappointment.