The sale of the Royal Over-Seas League's former clubhouse at 100 Princes Street, Edinburgh, has now been completed. Closed in January 2018, the c. 19,000 square foot property will now be turned into a luxury hotel thanks to the Red Carnation group, owners of 18 hotels worldwide.
Following extensive surveys from independent building specialists at the end of 2017 and beginning of 2018, it was found that the investment needed to bring the clubhouse up to modern compliance standards was too great for ROSL to meet, so the difficult decision was taken by Central Council to close the clubhouse permanently and put it up for sale.
Over-Seas House Edinburgh was originally the Windsor Hotel, a temperance establishment, designed in 1879 by Robert Patterson and formed part of the significant Victorian building programme along Princes Street. The Royal Over-Seas League bought the former hotel which required renovations, in 1929. In 1930, the Duke of York opened the new club premises. It was the first mixed club in the city and boasted 20 bedrooms, a bar and restaurant with all furnishings produced and made in Scotland. From 1930 it became a popular centre for Commonwealth visitors, with the prime ministers of Canada, Australia and New Zealand all staying there.
Under its new owners, Red Carnation, 100 Princes Street will become the 19th hotel in its portfolio, which already includes London's Hotel 41, opposite the Royal Mews, and Ashford Castle in Ireland. Managing director Jonathan Raggett said: "It has been a dream of ours to open a hotel in Edinburgh for some time, and with the best address in the city, it was well worth the wait."